Saturday, November 3, 2012

Finger Painting

So, over Fall Break I went on a retreat with a group I'm in called Worthy Questions. Basically, we just dig into really difficult/profound/provocative questions we come across, sometimes finding answers, sometimes only finding more questions. The retreat was great!
Anyway, at the start of the retreat we did this fun activity where we all finger painted something on a piece of paper that somehow represented something that had been on our mind lately. We then moved to the paper of the person next to us and added to their painting, and the next one, etc. It was really cool, because what started out as a cartoony self portrait of me ended up being this super cool painting of a lion.
As fun as the activity was, I found myself being frustrated with the lack of control I had with the paints we were using... and the fact that I couldn't do anything super precise painting with my fingers.
But look at this super cool artist, Judith (she has my name!) Braun... Yes, I totally found this because someone posted it on someone else's facebook and it turned up on my newsfeed... but I'm in love:


In these exhibitions, she dipped her fingers into charcoal and then drew directly onto the walls. So beautiful!


And I have no idea what her process was for this one, but it's too beautiful for words:
Look at her website for her other amazing art!



No comments:

Post a Comment